The ‘ghar-ka’, at-home functions are often the most fun. And you’ve always pictured your intimate mehendi to have ‘mehendi laga ke rakhna’ playing and all your aunties and cousins breaking into a bit of a jig amongst lots of yummy food. But here’s the issue: how to get that ‘mehendi vibe’ going for an entire evening? Here’s a selection of the 25 songs you need on your mehendi playlist – from classics, to cover versions of folk songs to Bollywood mixes that are ‘oh-so-mehendi’ and will totally get you in the ‘marrying’ mood!
1.Mehendi Hai Rachne Waali – Zubeida
I mean, DUH.
2. Mehendi Lagaa Ke Rakhna: Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge
3. Gori Naal Ishq Mitha
Because everyone from your naani to your bestie LOVES that signature step!
4. Saadi Galli – Tanu Weds Manu
Something to up the rager quotient!
5. Ainvayi Ainvayi – Band Baaja Baraat
Again, super fun for those who LOVE to dance!
6. Baari Barsi – Band Baaja Baaraat
A play on the traditional Punjabi ‘Baari Barsi’ wedding song whose lyrics itself try and get the whole family to the floor to dance! Great to get the party started!
7. Yeh Ishq Hai – Jab We Met
Get you girlfriends to do a cute-sy dance performance to this maybe?
8. Jhallah Vallah – Ishaqzaade
Or this – super bridesmaid-y!
9. Chunnari Chunnari – Biwi No 1
Throw in some old school 90s and you know you’ve got everyone on the floor. Dupattas and chunnaris included.
10. Kaala Sha Kala
Something traditional-esque for your older crew? Makes the vibe so homely and traditional!
11. Kachi Kalliyan – Laaga Chunari Mein Daag
I feel like people really forgot about this super wedding-y track. You single girl friends and guy friends can totally banter on this one 😉
12. Punjabi Wedding Song – Hassee Toh Phassee
13. Chalka Chalka – Saathiya
Again, one of those forgotten mehendi tracks. Graceful & easy to dance to!
14. Kangna Re Kangna Re – Paheli
Soft, girly and perfect to compliment the mehendi vibe.
15. Sasural Genda Phool – Delhi 6
This one goes without saying. You know your aunties are going to have a ball pulling your leg on this one!
16. Daingad Daingad – Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhaniya
Or this one! This is the perfect song to get your Dad & Mom on the floor!
17. Banarasiya – Raanjhana
Girly and pretty!
18. Raanjhana – Raanjhana
19. Navrai Maajhi – English Vinglish
The whole song is celebrating the ‘beauty’ of the bride so its really so mehendi perfect! Also amongst all that Punjabi jam, this is refreshing!
20. London Thumakda – Queen
21. Thoda Thoda Pyaar – Love Aaj Kal
22. Rola Pe Gaya – Patiala House
It’s a great mix traditional mehendi music – slow & graceful and then it goes into full party mode – just like you want your mehendi to go! Laung Da Lashkara from Patiala House is also great!
23. Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan – Roy
Super popular – you almost can’t imagine a mehendi without it.
24. Ambarsariya – Fukrey
Another really pretty song that everyone from the aunties to the granparents to your young cousins will love dancing to!
25. Rab Raakha – Love, Breakups Zindagi
It’s got your emo-ness and dancey-ness that’s perfect for a mehendi.
26. Baajre Da Sitta, Lathe Di Chaadar, Akh Kashni – Neha Bhasin’s awesomesauce covers Punjabi folk songs.
Saved the best find for last. Neha Bhasin has these great covers of Punjabi Folk songs which are great to add to your mehendi playlist!
Do you have any more songs that would be just PERFECT for a ghar ka mehendi function? Comment below 🙂